Are you wondering how to change the battery in keyless door locks? Unlike an ordinary remote control or your child’s car toy, changing the battery in your keyless door requires a more complicated procedure. If this is your first time, you don’t have to worry since the steps are easy to follow.
With this tutorial, you can quickly figure out how to change battery on keypad door lock. You can finish the task in a few minutes. Also, locks differ, so we include various brands and the procedures to change the locks.
Table of Contents
- How to Replace the Old Batteries in Keyless Door Lock
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Replace the Old Batteries in Keyless Door Lock
Performing a door lock battery replacement is an easy task. But you need to have the right tools to help you out. The items mentioned below are easy to find. You can buy them at the nearest hardware store or order them online.
- Screwdriver – The screws securing most of the keyless door locks require a Phillips screwdriver. The basic sizes of a Phillip head screwdriver are #0, #1, #2, #3, and #4. The #1 is commonly used for screws with standard size, while the #2 is used for screws that are miniature or jeweler-size.
- If it turns out that the screw head is slotted, you will need to use a flathead screwdriver, although it may seldomly happen. The standard sizes of a flathead screwdriver are ⅛”, 5/32”, 3/16”, ¼”, 5/16”, and 8/8”.
- New batteries – Batteries needed by locks may vary, so you must know what kind of batteries your lock has. Kwikset and Yale locks are typically powered by AA batteries, while AAA batteries operate Schlage locks. However, sophisticated locks require 9-volt batteries.
Other types of batteries that your lock may need are AAAA batteries, C batteries, and D batteries. Your lock will fail to work if you put the wrong batteries on it, so it is crucial to ensure what kind of batteries your lock requires.
1: Changing the battery in a Kwikset lock:
- 1. Unscrew to remove the cover
First, you need to get the appropriate screwdriver. After you have the tool, remove the screws securing the cover from the battery cartridge. Learn more detail how to open a locked door with a screwdriver here.
Some covers without screws on them, then you need to slip them to remove the screws. Once you are done removing the cover, go to the next step.
- 2. Remove the battery from the cartridge
Check what kind of battery your keyless lock needs. Usually, a Kwikset keypad lock requires four AA batteries. After you remove the old batteries, replace them with the new set. Make sure that they are positioned correctly.
2: Changing the battery in a Schlage lock:
- 1. Remove the screws securing the cartridge of the lock
Using a Philipps screwdriver, remove the screws on the cover that secures the inside of the lock. Once you have unscrewed them, get rid of the cover by grasping its sides and pulling it from the lock.
You will also need to remove the screws securing the cover of the battery cartridge. Some of the battery covers have one square, while others have two.
- 2. Remove the old batteries and replace them with new ones
Some Schlage locks have AAA batteries, but sophisticated locks are powered with a 9-volt battery. If your lock has AAA batteries, remove them and replace them with new ones.
But if the lock has a 9-volt battery, carefully remove it from the compartment and disconnect it from the wire cap.
- 3. Return the battery cover
Return the battery cover to its original position. Using a screwdriver, secure the batteries by putting back the screws.
Do the same with the cover of the lock.
Also, try if your lock is already working. If not, check if you have correctly placed the batteries inside the compartment. Ensure that your new batteries are compatible with your lock.
3: Replacing the batteries in a Yale lock:
- 1. Remove the battery cover
First, you need to remove the battery cover located at the interior side of the lock. It is secured by screws, so you need to use a Phillips screwdriver to unscrew them. Turn the screwdriver counterclockwise.
Once done, simply slide up the cover of the battery from the lock to completely remove it.
- 2. Remove the old batteries and place the new ones
After you have successfully removed the cover of the batteries, you can now remove the old batteries.
As a reminder, don’t mix up the old with the new batteries since it may ruin your lock.
Get rid of the old batteries and place the four AA batteries into the compartment. Check if the polarity of the batteries matches the compartment.
- 3. Check if the lock is working
If you have correctly replaced the batteries, the lock will beep four times. It will also illuminate a blue and red light. You also need to refresh the lock’s app on your phone.
Don’t forget to put back the cover of the batteries. Turn the Phillips screwdriver clockwise, securing the lid.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How will I open my lock if its batteries are already dead?
You can open a lock with dead batteries by using the key. Most keyless keypads can be opened using keys for an emergency like this one.
You can also unlock your lock using the mobile app. Follow the instructions indicated in the app of the lock.
2. How long do the batteries last before changing battery in door lock?
The batteries of the keyless door locks that operate using Bluetooth may last for one year. However, if they utilize the WIFI, it may only take almost three months before changing battery in door lock.
3. How will I know if the batteries of my locks need to be replaced?
When your lock batteries need to be replaced, you will notice a red light flashes every five seconds.
For some locks, it may last for one week before the batteries entirely run out of power. Replace the batteries as much as possible to prevent inconvenience.
Have you found our tutorial on how to change the battery in keyless door locks helpful? Electronic door lock battery replacement is an easy task if you know what you need to do. It will also require you some tools to finish the job in no time.
If you find this post useful, we encourage you to share this with your friends. Indeed, they will appreciate your help. We also love to know how your experience is while doing the tutorial. Just leave a comment below.
I am the last member to join Revolar and might be just the luckiest to work with dedicated people like Teddy and John. Our team has established a process where my only job is writing the best content to deliver incredible ideas and guides.