The security of your belongings will always depend on the quality of your shed door. Besides its quality, you must also ensure that you have the best lock for shed door to protect your valuables from burglars. With so many types of shed security locks, it is difficult to find the best one, especially if you have no idea of their features.
A low-quality shed door security usually results in wasted time, resources, and energy. To help you out, I’ve gathered here a list of the best shed locks and latches available in the market. As a piece of advice, choose according to different needs and preferences.
|1||StartFine T-Handle||7.1 x 5.2 x 1.3 inches||15.8 ounces||Powder Coated||Details|
|2||Grand Lake Country Black T-Handle||6 x 5 x 1.5 inches||1 Pounds||Powder Coated||Details|
|3||Building Doors & Door Hardware L Handle||8.46 x 6.02 x 1.73 inches||1.02 pounds||Powder Coated||Details|
Table of Contents
- Best Lock for Shed Door Reviews
- 1. StartFine T-Handle Lock kit
- 2. Grand Lake Country Black T-Handle Lock
- 3. Building Doors & Door Hardware L Handle Door Lock
- 4. Outdoor Hardware Shed Door T-Handle Lock
- 5. Master Lock 40DPF Stainless Steel Discus Padlock
- 6. StartFine 5 ½ T-Handle Lock Kit Shed Door Lock
- 7. Desired Tools Padlock 4-Digit Combination Lock
- 8. QANVEE Shed Door Latch T-Handle Lock
- 9. Master Lock 730DPF Heavy Duty Hasp
- 10. StartFine L-Handle Shed Door Lock
- 11. 321 Locks Van Locks Heavy Duty Hasp Padlock
- 12. Schlage B60N 619 Satin Nickel Deadbolt
- What to Look for When Buying Locks for Sheds
- How Can I Make My Shed Door More Secure
- How Do You Secure a Wooden Shed Door
Best Lock for Shed Door Reviews
1. StartFine T-Handle Lock kit
We can ensure our security with the StartFine T-Handle Lock Kit. With its zinc-plated spindle, the lock can handle heavy-duty use. It is ideal for shed doors that are less than 4 ½ inches in thickness. Aside from that, it is coated in black powder for better durability.
I also commend its easy installation since the T-handle, D-handle, two keys, and two self-drilling screws are already included in the package. I was expecting that I had to buy some tools for its installation, but thankfully, the package is complete. Furthermore, I don’t need to drill since the screws have a self-drilling feature.
Because of its features, the t-handle shed lock is also ideal for different structures such as barns, playhouses in the backyard, and chicken coop doors. In my case, I used it as a lock for the backyard playhouse of my toddler, and it was very reliable since he cannot open it easily.
The heavy-duty shed lock is also black powder-coated that makes it resistant to harsh weather. I was using the lock for months now. Despite the heavy rains, it still works perfectly well, and there is no sign of rusting.
- Handles heavy-duty use with its zinc-plated spindle
- Installs easily because of the self-drilling feature of the screws
- Ideal for sheds, barns, backyard playhouses, and chicken coop doors
- Resistant to harsh weathers
- The shaft can be a bit longer for flexible customization
2. Grand Lake Country Black T-Handle Lock
A shed lock that is widely used, the Black T-Handle Lock is ideal for outdoor use with its excellent lock features. From what I see, this device is perfect for the doors of the barns, chicken coops, sheds, and backyard playhouses.
Furthermore, the package already comes with screws and two keys. The installation is so easy that anyone can finish it in a minute. We just have to drill with a 3/8th inch drill then you are good to go. Aside from that, the keys and the handle are ideal as replacements for shed door locks since they fit perfectly.
The lock also has a black-coated powder finish so it can resist a harsh environment. With this feature, the handle does not readily corrode and rust. As a result, it is very durable despite the scorching heat of the sun and the below-zero temperature during winters.
I also love the fact that its price is very affordable compared to other locks. It was half the price of different locks that are available in the physical stores. It was also delivered to my house earlier than I expected.
- Used for the doors of the barns, chicken coops, sheds, and backyard playhouses.
- Keys and handle are ideal replacements for shed door locks
- Resists harsh environment with its black-coated powder finish
- Affordable compared to lock available in the markets
- Requires a screwdriver with a square head tip for the installation
3. Building Doors & Door Hardware L Handle Door Lock
With its 5 ½ shaft length, the Doors & Door Hardware 5-1/2″ Black L Handle Door Lock Set is perfect for heavy-duty use. It can fit doors that are up to 4 ½ thick and works well as a double door shed lock. I’ve used this one for my steel shed that is 4 inches thick, and, surprisingly, there is still room for adjustments.
The lock also works as a good replacement for shed doors. I bought this lock after the old one locked me up. It perfectly fits the door, and the keys are also working well. So I did not have to make any more adjustments.
Moreover, the installation only took three minutes of my time, and I had no problems with its installation. The package already includes keys, screws that are a color match, an L handle, and a D handle. You won’t need to read the instructions since the installation is easy to do.
Concerning its durability, the lock is ideal for outdoor use since it has a black-coated powder finish. The finish helps a lot in preventing corrosion and rusting, especially during bad weather. Therefore, we can use it for our storage, barns, playhouses, and chicken coop doors.
- Comes with 5 ½ shaft length for a good fit
- Works as a replacement for shed doors
- Package includes keys, screws, an L handle, and a D handle for easy installing
- A weatherproof lock with a black-coated powder finish resisting corrosion & rust
- Ideal for storage, barns, playhouses, and chicken coop doors
- Screws are exposed at the outside of the door
4. Outdoor Hardware Shed Door T-Handle Lock
The installation has become so easy with the Shed Door T-Handle Lock. With its complete package, you don’t have to worry about the equipment needed for the installation. The package comes with a T-handle and a D-handle. Besides that, an Allen wrench is included to tighten up the screws.
I also like the lock because it is one of the best heavy-duty shed door locks. The handle can fit shed doors that are 4 ½ inches thick. The shaft length is 5 ½ inches which is fully adjustable for doors with different thicknesses.
In addition to that, the two wood screws are weather-resistant since they are coated with black powder. Therefore, heavy rains and harsh weather would not worry us of any rusting. This reinforcement assures the durability of the lock through time.
With all of its features, the lock can provide safety for sheds, chicken coops, playhouses, and barns. In my case, I used it as one of my garden shed locks where I usually keep some of my vegetables away from chickens and goats. So far, not any of these animals or burglars succeeded in breaking into the door.
- Includes Allen wrench to tighten up the screws
- Handle heavy-duty and customizable use with 5 ½ inch shaft length
- Comes with weather-resistant black-powder coated screws
- Ideal for sheds, chicken coops, playhouses, and barns
- T-handle and D-handle are in the same plastic bag, resulting in scratches.
5. Master Lock 40DPF Stainless Steel Discus Padlock
The Master Lock 40DPF Stainless Steel Discus Padlock offers strength and security with its stainless steel construction and a hardened steel shackle. With its materials, the lock is made durable and reliable.
Constructed with a shrouded design, the padlock minimizes the exposure of the shackle, which protects it against bolt cutter attacks. Moreover, it has a four-pin cylinder and dual locking lever mechanism, making it resistant to picking and prying.
I’ve been using it as a padlock for outdoor shed since it is perfect for outdoor use because of the weatherproof feature. Besides, the stainless steel prevents the corrosion of the lock during heavy rains and intense heat. This feature adds to the reliability of the padlock.
Due to its design and features, the padlock is highly recommended for storage, garages, trailers, and sheds. The package already includes three padlocks and two keys. Both of the keys could open the lock. You won’t have any problem looking for replacement keys in case you’ve lost one of them.
- Offers strength with its stainless steel construction and hardened steel shackle
- Minimizes the exposure of the shackle, protecting it against bolt cutters attack
- Prevents the lock corrosion during heavy rains and intense heat
- Highly recommended to use for storage, garages, trailers, and sheds
- Comes with three padlocks and two keys for replacement
- Space between the covers is not welded shut
6. StartFine 5 ½ T-Handle Lock Kit Shed Door Lock
The StartFine 5 ½ T-Handle Lock Kit Shed Door Lock has everything we need for optimal security! The kit includes the outside T-handle, D-handle, two screws, and one hex key. We won’t encounter any problem with the installation with all necessary equipment packed neatly on arrival.
Furthermore, the lock can handle frequent abuse with its 5 ½ zinc-plated spindles. Furthermore, this lock is also highly recommended for shed doors that are thick since it can fit into doors with a thickness of up to 5 ½ inches.
Notably, the black-coated powder finish can shield the door lock from rusting and corrosion during bad weather. Such a protective feature makes the lock perfect for outdoor use. And, I’ve been using it as a secure lock for shed; there is no sign of rust so far.
I also find the lock useful for playhouses, chicken coop doors, barns, and shed doors. With its various uses, it is a must-have. The safety offers also give me peace of mind from burglars who want to steal my valuables.
- Includes the outside T-handle, D-handle, two screws, and one hex key
- Handles heavy use with its 5 ½ zinc-plated spindle
- Black-coated powder finish protects the lock from rusting and corrosion
- Useful for playhouses, chicken coop doors, barns, and shed doors
- Keys are difficult to come in and come out
7. Desired Tools Padlock 4-Digit Combination Lock
The Desired Tools Padlock 4-Digit Combination Lock is an excellent option for anyone who wants a keyless shed lock. We can surely enjoy the convenience of using a keyless combination lock without worry about carrying keys or losing them. All we need to do is to set the combination code and memorize it.
When it comes to security, the 10,000 unique combinations will prevent the thieves from cracking the code. With this kind of technology, I do not have to worry too much about the security of my valuables.
Aside from that, the numbers are easy to read and maneuver. Setting and resetting the codes are easy tasks that will only t for only a few minutes since they are effortless and straightforward. I just followed the instructions in the manual and did the task myself.
The lock not only suits shed doors but it is also ideal for gym lockers and sports lockers. We can also use it to lock an employee locker, case, hasp, and general storage. I highly recommend this lock for those who want a safety lock that has multiple uses and purposes.
- Offers keyless convenience with lock combination instead
- Includes 10,000 combinations that prevent thieves from cracking the code
- Numbers are easy to read and maneuver
- A multiple-purpose lock, ideal for gym lockers and sports lockers
- Bad weather might affect its durability
8. QANVEE Shed Door Latch T-Handle Lock
Perfect as storage shed locks, QANVEE Shed Door Latch T-Handle Lock includes a 4 ½ inches stem lock that can fit into 3 ½ inches thick doors. It is also made of heavy-duty metal to ensure durability. Aside from that, the lock has a black-coated powder finish that makes it reliable for outdoor use.
In addition, the installation is made easier through the Allen wrench included in the package. It also comes with a T-handle, D-handle, and two Phillips head screws.
Also, there are four keys included in case our key got lost. If we order two sets or more, we can get duplicate keys since there are 200 similar keys for every set and different keys for the next 200.
The features make the lock perfect for outdoor buildings like storage shed doors. It is also suitable for playhouses, chicken coop doors, and barns. I’ve been using it for a year now, and it still has a good condition as a lock for my storage shed door.
- A 4 ½ inches stem lock that can fit into 3 ½ inches door
- Heavy-duty metal construction with a black-coated powder finish
- Package includes an Allen wrench which makes installation easier
- Includes four keys in case of key loss
- Perfect for storage shed doors, barns, playhouse, and chicken coop doors
- The female thread was not correctly cut
9. Master Lock 730DPF Heavy Duty Hasp
Made from hardened steel with zinc plate, expect strength and durability with Master Lock 730DPF Heavy Duty Hasp, Straight Bar, 7-1/4 inch. The overall look of the lock bar shows that it can stand up to wear and tear.
The hardened steel prevents hammering, cutting, and sawing. Any burglar would have difficulty breaking in. Instead of using the screws, I used some bolts for maximum security. It would require a huge pry bar even to open it, and indeed it would make a loud sound.
Aside from that, mounting hardware is also included to make installation easier. A ¼ inch drill is enough for the screw and the bolt to fit. The mounting hardware is concealed in the hasp body, and the burglar won’t even notice it.
I also love the fact that the lock has multiple uses. Many users have successfully set it up on utility vans and trailers. Moreover, I also find it useful for gang boxes and vending machines. I tried the lock bar for my gang box, and it is still in good condition even after a year of heavy use.
- Ensures strength and durability with its hardened steel
- Prevents hammering, cutting, and sawing with its hardened steel
- Includes mounting hardware to make installation easier
- Works in utility vans, trailers, gang boxes, and vending machines
- A bit too big for narrow backyard sheds
10. StartFine L-Handle Shed Door Lock
We can enjoy easy and convenient set-up with StartFine –Handle Shed Door Lock. The package is complete, including the L-handle, the inside D-handle, two keys, and two screws. It spares us the trouble of pre-drilling since the screws have a self-drilling feature.
I appreciate that the shed door lock’s handles and the screws are black powder-coated. Such construction prevents the door lock from rusting and corrosion, especially when exposed to harsh environments, like storms and the sun’s scorching heat.
Because of its weatherproof feature, the lock is suitable for outdoor buildings like storage sheds, playhouses, barns, chicken coops, and chicken tractors. I’ve used two sets of these on my shed, one for the man-door and one for the double door. So far, they are both working perfectly.
The sturdy construction of the lock is something that I have to mention. Unlike low-gradec, this one is durable. For more than a year, I’ve been using the storage building locks, and they don’t fail me, especially when it comes to my security.
- Includes the L-handle, the D-handle, two keys, and two screws
- Handles and screws are black powder-coated for withstanding harsh conditions
- Suitable for outdoor buildings
- Comes in sturdy constructions that ensure durability
- Does not include any instruction manual
11. 321 Locks Van Locks Heavy Duty Hasp Padlock
Owners of the storage shed looking for a sturdy lock should check out the 321 Locks Hasp Padlock! Since it is made of a strong stainless steel lock and hasp, we can expect it to handle all heavy uses without severe damage.
The lock has a rust-proof coating for us to use for years without the need for a replacement anytime soon. Unlike other locks that easily rusts when exposed to harsh weather, this one can resist heavy rains without any sign of rusting.
Moreover, the lock is straightforward to install. We just need a flat surface for mounting and some bolts since they are not included in the package. By drilling holes with a drill bit, we can then insert the bolts from the outside and bolt inside.
Designed for maximum security, the lock is made to protect possessions inside our storage shed from burglars. Furthermore, it suffices for van, garage, and commercial vehicles. Others install this lock vending machine, heavy-duty door, enclosed trailer, cargo trailers, shipping container, and more.
- Made of strong stainless steel lock and hasp
- Comes with a rust-proof coating
- Easy to install using a drill bit
- Suitable for van, garage, commercial vehicle, and many more
- Does not include an instruction manual
12. Schlage B60N 619 Satin Nickel Deadbolt
Known for its durability, the Schlage B60N 619 Single Cylinder Satin Nickel Deadbolt is a must-have! When it comes to its sturdiness, the lock holds good integrity. In detail, the design is made of metal with a satin nickel finish.
Surprisingly, the lock also includes an anti-shimming shield and strike plate reinforcement. I was thrilled after I found out that there are four security pins and one regular pin inside the cylinder. Aside from that, the pin wells are not threaded, so there is no chance that serrated pins would work.
It only took me five minutes to set up the whole thing. The screws are easy to line up through the lock, which also prevents cross-threading. However, make sure that the deadbolt operates smoothly before tightening the screws.
The lock also looks good with its satin nickel finish. It perfectly blends both with light and dark-colored doors. We have options ranging from Aged Bronze to bright shades like Satin Chrome, or Bright Chrome. I installed mine for my study room, and it boasts a sophisticated look.
- Ensures sturdiness with its metal construction
- Includes anti-shimming shield and strike plate reinforcement
- Screws are easy to line up during installation
- Looks good with its satin nickel finish
- Comes in various sophisticated colors: from dark Aged Bronze, to Bright Chrome
- Some locks are under not good quality control
What to Look for When Buying Locks for Sheds
If you want to have the best shed locks, there are features that you must consider. First of all, remember to consider the durability of the lock. Choose a weatherproof lock since you intend it for outdoor use on your shed doors. In my opinion, stainless steel locks with all-weather crews are the best options.
Also, analyze if it can provide you with maximum security. I always prefer locks that have 3 points shed door locking system. We can also take one with the keyless function that comes with multiple combinations for better security and convenience.
Furthermore, ensure your convenience. There are locks in the market that take too much time and energy to install and use. As much as possible, look for locks that you can install by yourself to save time and money. Luckily, most lock brands pack all necessary items for setting up; only a few installation tasks require us to drill.
How Can I Make My Shed Door More Secure
One way to secure your shed door is by reinforcing your shed door with timber on the hinge and lock sides. It will prevent the burglars from unscrewing the hinge to break in. In addition, you can install a security bar.
How Do You Secure a Wooden Shed Door
Instead of using screws on the hinge, you can replace them with carriage bolts. Unlike screws, carriage bolts cannot be taken off by a wrench due to their rounded head. You will need a washer and a nut to tighten them up.
The best lock for shed door is now available in the market to offer durability, security, and convenience. However, you may choose the wrong ones if you don’t know the right features to suit your needs. The purpose of this review is to help you out so that you can save more time and energy, and at the same time, enjoy your peace of mind.
I am the last member to join Revolar and might be just the luckiest to work with dedicated people like Teddy and John. Our team has established a process where my only job is writing the best content to deliver incredible ideas and guides.