Losing your Chateau lock key is proven to be a hassle and a difficult time for you. You cannot get inside your house or access your personal belongings, especially in a hurry or in an emergency.
In addition, searching for the lost key and wasting time might not be the best course of action you want to take. That is why lock picking your Chateau key lock is the way to go.
In this article, I will show you how to break into a Chateau lock with simple and easy steps.
Table of Contents
What to Prepare
Before diving into the actual lock picking, it is important to know and procure the materials to use first. Here are the tools you need to do Chateau locks picking:
- Prepare different sizes of picks. You will need picks and hooks in various sizes since some Chateau locks, such as the C99X lock have narrow keyways.
- Prepare different types of tension tools. Some Chateau locks have yale keyways, and others have tubular cores.
Ways to Break Into a Chateau Lock
There are different models of Chateau locks. Because of this, there are also multiple different ways to lockpick each one.
The following are the types and models of Chateau locks and how to break them:
1. Chateau C970 Lockpicking
Losing your Chateau C970 keys for your lock should not be a big problem. A Chateau C970 lock is one of the disc locks composed of a very tight little reverse Yale keyway, providing only a small space for the tension tool and the hook to go inside.
These are the steps to open a disc lock without a key, such as a Chateau C970 lock:
- Step 1: Prepare your tension tool and hook or rake.
- Step 2: Turn the lock upside down so that the label of the lock is on the bottom.
- Step 3: Put your tension tool on the bottom part of the keyway and secure the end of it with your pointing finger.
- Step 4: Insert your rake or hook inside the little space in the keyway and set all of the six pins inside the lock.
- Step 5: Navigate yourself through all the pins several times. Maintain the torque on your tension tool until the lock is unlocked.
2. Chateau 50mm Padlock Lockpicking
The Chateau 50mm is different from the Chateau C970 as it features a padlock design compared to the disc lock. The Chateau 50mm padlocks are secured with a single pin and a narrow keyway.
These are the ways to unlock a Chateau 50mm Padlock without a key:
- Step 1: Prepare your pry bar and your rake or pick.
- Step 2: Position the pry bar inside the keyway, making sure the pry bar is putting torque on the keyway sideways.
- Step 3: Insert your rake or pick and slightly push your rake onto the pins and try to get a false set. A false set will signify that a pin has been set, but the security pin has not yet reached the shear line.
- Step 4: The pry bar will slightly turn a couple of degrees. Find the false set on the pin and follow through.
- Step 5: Maintain the tension on your pry bar until the keyway turns and unlocks.
3. Chateau C977 Tubular Core Lockpicking
The Chateau 977 lock is a unique disc padlock as it features a tubular core. This Chateau cylinder lock is secured with a seven-pin non-standard keyway. To unlock a Chateau 977 tubular core, follow the following steps using the single-pin picking:
- Step 1: Prepare your hook and tension tool for tubular cores.
- Step 2: The seven pins are set around the core. Start by pressing down on each pin in a clockwise direction.
- Step 3: Press each pin and make sure a clicking sound should be produced. Note that some of the pins are loose, and will only be pressed when some of the other pins are set.
- Step 4: Go around the core again until all of the pins are set.
- Step 5: Turn your tension tool and your Chateau C977 is now unlocked.
Can You Cut a Disc Lock With Bolt Cutters?
When you are tasked to do a public storage lock removal, it might not be wise to bring bolt cutters. A U-haul lock or a disc lock’s U-shaped part is proven impossible to be reached by bolt cutters.
Hammers or other tools cannot also be used in breaking a disc lock. This makes disc locks popular in self-storage security compared to padlocks.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Difference Between a Padlock and a Disc Lock?
Although both the disc lock and the padlock are good choices when making sure things are secure, they have their distinguishing differences.
- Padlocks are also called open-shackle locks. This is because of the traditional feature of the padlocks with a pad and an exposed shackle.
- On the other hand, disc locks are composed of a shackle built into the mechanism, showing a newer design than padlocks. The integration of its shackles enables the lock to conceal them.
Security-wise, the disc lock is more secure than the padlock since the concealed shackles of the disc lock make it more difficult to be accessed and break with bolt cutters.
When to Get a Locksmith
If you do not know how to break into a Chateau lock and do not have the tools to do lockpicking, it might be wise to get a locksmith. Your locksmith will procure a lock key blank and design that blank with grooves that will set the pins on your lock.
The lock key blank will become your replacement key for your lock. In addition, you can also ask for a master key for all your locks, especially if you have the same brand or model of the locks.
Keep calm and worry no more about losing your keys to your Chateau lock. Remember that breaking or lock picking your lock should only be done in times of emergency and should not be done in normal situations.
Knowing ways to break into a Chateau lock will hone your lockpicking skills and improve your handiness. The next time you lose your keys, it will no longer be a hassle.
I am the last member to join Revolar and might be just the luckiest to work with dedicated people like Teddy and John. Our team has established a process where my only job is writing the best content to deliver incredible ideas and guides.