Investing in top-notch security devices is something you should consider, especially when you have a family or valuables you do not want to get onto unwanted people. Ranging from nightlatches to deadbolts, Yale locks have proven effective security for people around the world.
However, there will be times when the lock can become rusty, or you just want to upgrade your lock. That is why knowing how to do Yale lock replacement can go a long way.
In this article, I will show you how to remove Yale lock in quick and easy steps.
Table of Contents
Step-by-Step to Remove Yale Lock
There are different types of Yale locks out there, and each has its own corresponding process of removal. Determine the type of old Yale lock that you have first before proceeding further into this article.
For Yale deadbolt lock removal
Deadbolt locks are commonly used in household doors, such as front doors. To remove and change deadbolt lock, follow these steps:
- Unscrew the deadbolt latch from the door.
- Unhook the latch by pressing the latch to the inside, moving it to the right.
- Remove the inner door handle by inserting a pin onto the root of the handle.
- Push the pin inwards to release the handle.
- In a counterclockwise motion, rotate the ring of the handle to remove it.
- Unscrew the two screws from the lockset.
- Remove the inner bracket of the deadbolt lockset.
- Pull the outer end of the lockset from the other side of the door.
For Yale smart lock removal
Yale smart locks, such as the Yale and Nest lock, can often be accessed through the WiFi or Bluetooth of your smartphone. To remove Yale smart lock, follow these steps:
- Remove Yale lock cover by unscrewing the screws on the lock’s inside face.
- Lift the cover from the lock.
- Next, remove Yale lock battery cover to expose the batteries.
- Take out the batteries one by one.
- Take out the Z wave chip from the smart lock. The Z wave chip is a green box that is located at the top of the batteries.
- Unscrew the escutcheon plate from the door. There will be three screws.
- Pull the wire harness plug.
- Locate the mounting plate and remove the screws holding it. Note: you can tape the other side of the lockset while doing this step so it will not fall off. You can also get a helping hand to hold it from the other side.
- Remove the deadbolt latch by unscrewing two screws on the edge of the door frame.
Remember that after you remove Yale Nest lock, you should change Yale door lock code, especially if you want to reuse the lock for other purposes.
For Yale door knobs removal
Having a rusty door knob might stop you or your key from unlocking the door. To remove your Yale door knob, follow these steps:
- Prepare your hanger wire by circling one end to make a handle and straightening the other end.
- Locate the small hole on the root of the knob.
- Insert the hanger wire onto the hole.
- Turn the knob until you hear an audible click from the knob.
- Press the hanger wire and pull it out.
- Pull the knob from the lockset.
For Yale night latch removal
Night latches are used to suppress noise from going in and out of the door and make transporting goods from the outside easier by staying unlocked. To remove a Yale night latch, follow these steps:
- Unscrew the fixing screw with your appropriate screwdriver.
- Pull the body of the night latch away from the door.
- Unscrew the cylinder fixing screws after the rim cylinder is exposed.
- Pull the cylinder out of the door.
- Unscrew the remaining fixing screws to remove the mounting plate.
- Carefully remove the mounting plate from a UPVC door.
Tips to Remove a Lock From an Account
Yale locks, especially the digital locks, can be registered to your Yale account in order for you to monitor and access the lock through your account even without a key.
However, if the lock is already damaged or you are moving out and leaving the Yale locks, you might want to remove them from your account.
To remove Yale lock from app and do factory reset, follow these steps:
- Locate the Yale Access App on your phone and open it.
- Go to the application’s lock circle screen. This screen would also show you whether your door is locked or unlocked.
- Click the gear icon, which will direct you to the setting menu.
- Click the Yale lock that you want to reset.
- Go to the factory reset section.
- Click “Reset Lock”.
It is always beneficial to have a good eye on the security features of your house. A rusty lock can become an opportunity for robbers and thieves to take advantage of, or it can lock out one of your family members.
Knowing how to remove Yale lock will prove useful when the time comes. Save money and time by doing the installation of replacement parts all by yourself.
I am the last member to join Revolar and might be just the luckiest to work with dedicated people like Teddy and John. Our team has established a process where my only job is writing the best content to deliver incredible ideas and guides.