Installing the best door chain lock is one of the easy and inexpensive ways to add security to the house. However, there are so many types of chain locks in the market that it is difficult for homeowners to choose the best one.
There are features that you must take note of first. This will prevent you from wasting your resources on a lock that is not compatible with your door or is not durable enough to last for a long time. To help you out, here are the features that you must look for in a chain lock:
- Materials: A chain lock can be made of die-cast zinc, die-cast stainless steel, reinforced steel, and premium zinc alloy. The durability of the lock will depend on the material that it is made of.
- Security: Some of the locks have added security features to it like a spring anti-theft press and door chain lock with alarm. To ensure security, some locks have thicker chains and longer screws.
- Design: Door security chain locks can be available in different colors such as silver, gold, satin nickel finish, polished brass, white, matte black, and red bronze. Some of the designs have a touch of modernity, while others are subtle yet sophisticated.
The locks in this list are some of the top-rated chain locks available in the market. However, each of them & other locks are unique. Choose a lock that will suit your style and needs. A buying guide is also included in the review to help you choose one that will fit you the most.
|Top||Product name||Material||Exterior Finish||Weight|
|1||National Hardware N183-590 V807||Die Cast Zinc||Brass||4.30 ounces||Details|
|2||V-CORME Extra-Thick||Stainless Steel||Brushed Nickel||7 ounces||Details|
|3||PRIME-LINE Products U 10304||Stainless Steel||Satin Nickel||4.3 ounces||Details|
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Door Chain Lock Reviews
- 1. National Hardware N183-590 V807 Door Chain
- 2. V-CORME Extra-Thick Door Chain Lock
- 3. PRIME-LINE Products U 10304 Standard Door Guard
- 4. Defender Security U 10386 Door Guard
- 5. KINJOEK Stainless Steel Security Chain Guard
- 6. Jack N’ Drill Chain Door Guard with Lock
- 7. KINJOEK Stainless Steel Security Chain Guard
- 8. JQK Door Chain Lock
- 9. Mydio Extra-Thick Door Chain Lock
- 10. DIVDOU Door Chain Lock, Swing Bar Door Lock Bolt
- 11. Shuxy Anti-Theft Lock Security Chain Door
- 12. RZDEAL Anti-Theft Bolt Chain
- What to Look for When Buying Door Chain Locks
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 12 Door Chain Lock Reviews
1. National Hardware N183-590 V807 Door Chain
Constructed with die-cast zinc, the National Hardware N183-590 V807 Door Chain provided the sturdiness that I needed to prevent my six-year-old son from escaping out of our house.
The chain lock brings extra security whether it is for residential or apartment doors. It gives me an opportunity to check first who is knocking on our front door since it keeps the door partially opened. This prevents an intruder from immediately entering our house.
Aside from that, it can be installed both on metal and wooden doors. My two teenage daughters had these locks installed on their doors — one is made of metal while the other is made of wood. Amazingly, the locks performed excellently on both doors.
Like other chain locks, this one is also effortless to install. I only used a power drill to get it on our front door. I did not need the assistance of my husband since the procedures were direct and simple. It only took me a few minutes to finish the installation.
- Study enough with die-cast zinc
- Brings extra security by keeping residential or apartment doors partially opened
- Can be installed both on metal and wooden doors
- Only takes a few minutes to install
- The chain was too long
2. V-CORME Extra-Thick Door Chain Lock
The V-CORME Extra-Thick Door Chain Lock is one of the most trusted chain locks when it comes to ensuring the security of my family. It is a heavy-duty lock that includes an extra thick chain. Plus, it is constructed with die-cast stainless steel that makes it more durable to use.
I also love the fact that it cannot be opened from the outside so there is no single chance that an intruder can open the door by bypassing the chain lock. This gives me a lot of peace of mind.
The lock also complements the modern look of my door with its brushed nickel finish and balanced oval shape and ball insert. It not only adds security at my front door, but it also provides design and sophistication.
Furthermore, the package included the items that I needed for the installation such as the mounting screws. I did not need to go to Home Depot and look for screws that would fit the lock. That would be troublesome for me and a total inconvenience on my part.
- Heavy-duty lock that includes an extra thick chain
- Constructed with die-cast stainless steel, making it more durable to use
- Lock cannot be opened from the outside
- Fits a modern door with its brushed nickel finish and oval shape and ball insert
- Includes mounting screws needed for installation
- Manual had a lot of errors, making installation difficult
3. PRIME-LINE Products U 10304 Standard Door Guard
A perfect child-proof security lock for toddlers who know how to lock and unlock the door, the PRIME-LINE Products U 10304 Standard Door Guard can be installed over the door casing where it is out of reach.
The installation was straightforward. I only had to drill some holes in the door and secure the chain lock by fastening the screws. It also works on various types of doors, so I did not have a problem installing it on my metal front door.
I was also amazed by the sturdiness of the lock after my husband pushed the door, forgetting that a chain lock was installed there. I was expecting the lock to break; however, it didn’t. I guess it is because the lock was made of extruded brass.
Its color is also worth mentioning. I love how the satin nickel finish blends with my door. The lock looks expensive compared to other locks that I encountered in the past. It is pleasing to look at.
- Security lock for toddlers who know how to lock and unlock the door
- Can be installed over the door casing where it is out of reach
- Installation is straightforward
- Works in various types of doors
- Constructed with extruded brass that is sturdy enough
- Has a satin nickel finish that blends with the door
- Shorter than regular chains
4. Defender Security U 10386 Door Guard
When it comes to preventing burglars from breaking into the house, I find the Defender Security U 10386 Door Guard a reliable secondary lock. The chain of lock keeps the door partially open and cannot be cut from the outside.
The installation only took me seven to ten minutes. I had installed it vertically so that it would be easier for us to put the chain in. Plus, the screws were already included in the package, so I was able to proceed with the installation immediately.
I also use this lock to secure the door going into our basement since my son kept going there. He kept on kicking and forcefully opening the door but to no avail. The lock seemed to look like it was lightweight; however, it was strong enough to keep the children away from unsafe places.
In addition, it has an affordable price yet it has a good quality. Most of the less costly chain locks I had in the past easily broke after months of use. I have been using this lock for almost a year, and it is still working properly.
- A reliable secondary lock that prevents burglars from breaking into the house
- Chain cannot be cut from the outside
- Setup is quick
- Screws are already included in the package, making installation easier
- Strong enough to keep the children from unsafe places
- Affordable price yet has a good quality
- No knob on the part of the chain
5. KINJOEK Stainless Steel Security Chain Guard
After looking for a durable lock that I can use in my house, I found KINJOEK’s Stainless Steel Security Chain Guard. It is corrosion-resistant, rust-resistant, and scratch-resistant. I’ve been using it for years, but it is still in good condition.
Also, the lock includes a spring anti-theft press lock that prevents forced entry from occurring. It was difficult for me to sleep peacefully at night because of the burglary in our area. However, after installing this lock in my house, I was relieved, and I started to have a good sleep.
The gold color of the lock also adds elegance to my modern door. The surface of the lock is also smooth, so it is comfortable to touch. There are no jagged edges, and it looks unobtrusive despite its color.
With all of its features, I was surprised because it is not costly. Also, the package came with two chain locks — one I installed on the front door while the other was on the back door. I was really satisfied with the lock. It gave good value.
- Durable with its corrosion-resistant, rust-resistant, and scratch-resistant features
- Includes a spring anti-theft press lock that prevents forced entry
- The gold color adds elegance to a modern door while appearing unobtrusive
- Smooth texture is comfortable to touch
- Not costly and the package comes with two chain locks
- Had to use longer screws because the screws included in the package were short
6. Jack N’ Drill Chain Door Guard with Lock
The Jack N’ Drill Chain Door Guard with Lock is made of reinforced steel that provides the strength needed to prevent any forced entry. Amazingly, it will endure a ton of weight before someone can intrude inside the house.
I also don’t have to fully open the door to have good ventilation inside the house since it keeps the door partially open. This is also useful whenever we have to check who came to visit us because we don’t have a peephole.
During the installation, I did not struggle since I simply marked the spots where the holes needed to be made. After making the markings, I proceeded on drilling the screws. It was a job that only took me a few minutes.
Moreover, I was fascinated with the lock because of its modern design. It is available in different colors such as polished brass, nickel, black, and white finishes. I picked the colors that would fit the look of my door to add aesthetics and design to my home.
- Made of reinforced steel that prevents forced entry
- Takes a ton of weight before someone can intrude inside the house
- Keeps the door partially open, resulting in good ventilation
- Procedures for installation are easy
- Available in different colors like polished brass, nickel, black, and white finishes
- Does not come with anchors
7. KINJOEK Stainless Steel Security Chain Guard
Another heavy-duty and durable interior door chain lock, KINJOEK’s Stainless Steel Security Chain Guard does not easily corrode and rust because it is constructed with stainless steel. Its service life is long.
Plus, I also love the fact that it has a spring anti-theft press lock that adds security to our home. This gives me peace of mind that an intruder won’t forcefully enter our home while I am busy working in the kitchen and the kids are playing in the living room.
The lock also cannot be unlocked from the outside because of the locking mechanism. It keeps the door open only for ventilation and peeping, but it is impossible to unlock it even if someone tries to lift the chain from the outside.
I also find the red bronze color of the lock so lovely and elegant. It makes the door look sophisticated. The design of the lock is also modest so it cannot catch the eyes of the burglars easily.
- Does not easily corrode and rust
- Constructed with stainless steel & looks modest
- Spring anti-theft press lock adds security to home
- Lock cannot be unlocked from the outside
- Red bronze color of the lock is lovely and elegant
- The locking mechanism of the lock was stiff
8. JQK Door Chain Lock
Compared to other standard locks, the JQK Door Chain Lock is constructed with high-quality material. It is made of thickening solid stainless steel that keeps it sturdy, and at the same time, rust-proof. With these features, longevity is not a problem.
Some of the chain locks are easy to bypass because they have no additional security features. This lock includes a spring anti-thief press lock, which makes it impossible for a burglar to open the door from the outside by simply lifting the chain. It is also difficult for intruders to press the lock.
The matte black finish of the lock also prevents it from acquiring tarnishes and scratches. It also protects the lock from corroding easily. I also find the color simple yet sophisticated — a perfect blend to my modernly designed door.
Another feature of the lock that is worth mentioning is that it has thick chains. It would take a lot of force before anyone could break the chains of the lock. This is a great relief from intruders who try to enter the house.
- Constructed with thickening solid stainless steel, making it sturdy and rust-proof
- Has spring anti-thief press lock that makes it difficult to unlock from the outside
- Matte black finish protects the lock from tarnishes, scratches, and corrosion
- Finish perfectly blends with modern doors
- Includes thick chains that are sturdy enough against forced entry
- Screws included in the package didn’t work for a standard metal door
9. Mydio Extra-Thick Door Chain Lock
One of the chain locks that I trust when it comes to my security is the Mydio Extra-Thick Door Chain Lock. It has a thick chain lock that ensures sturdiness. The heavy-duty chain lock measures up to 2 mm, which is strong enough against forcible entry.
Aside from its sturdiness, the lock is also rust-proof since it is made of thickened solid stainless steel. I’ve been using it for months now, and the lock still looks new. There is no sign of any rust or corrosion. I guess it will stay on the door for a very long time.
Most of the time, I have trouble with chain locks with screws that are too short for our door. Luckily, this chain lock included seven stainless long screws that I needed for my door.
The lock also helps me to identify who our visitors are before fully opening the door. Besides the security it provides, the narrow design of the lock fits any size and type of door and brings a modern touch to our home.
- Heavy-duty chain lock measures up to 2 mm
- Rust-proof since it is made of thickened solid stainless steel
- Includes seven stainless long screws
- Lock helps in identifying the visitors before fully opening the door
- Narrow lock fits any size and type of door and brings a modern touch
- Not available in other colors
10. DIVDOU Door Chain Lock, Swing Bar Door Lock Bolt
Another way of protecting the home is by installing DIVDOU’s Door Chain Lock. In contrast to other locks, it is a door bar latch that perfectly fits swing-in doors with hinges. It makes it possible to safely view who is on the other side of the door to prevent intruders from entering the house.
The lock is also perfect for keeping the children safe since it can be installed where it is out of reach. There were a couple of times that my children successfully ran out of the house despite the chain lock. But this time, it would be difficult for them because they could not reach it.
I also don’t have to worry about the lock’s durability. It is constructed with premium zinc alloy, so I have a high expectation that it would last for a long time. Plus, I also found out that the lock is rust-proof.
When it comes to installation, it was a breeze. I only needed a screwdriver since the lock included the mounting screws. The procedures were also straightforward, so it only took me a few minutes to finish installing the lock.
- A door bar latch that perfectly fits swing-in doors with hinges
- Makes it possible to safely view who is on the other side of the door
- Keeps the children safe since it can be installed where it is out of reach
- Constructed with premium zinc alloy and is rust-proof
- Only needs a screwdriver for installation, setup is easy
- Only compatible if the door is flush with the door jamb
11. Shuxy Anti-Theft Lock Security Chain Door
The Shuxy Anti-Theft Lock Security Chain Door is convenient to use because it can fit various types of doors such as metal and wooden doors. It was not a hassle to install the lock since I did not need to make any adjustments. Also, the screws secured the lock perfectly.
Moreover, the lock is durable and sturdy because it is built with a tough material–stainless steel. It was challenging to look for durable locks since some of them broke after two to three weeks of use. Fortunately, I came across this lock.
Plus, the chains of the lock are long enough to keep the door partially open but short enough to prevent an intruder from entering the house forcefully. In addition to that, the link welded chain is made of steel, so it is very sturdy.
I also love the silver color of the lock because it is subtle yet elegant. This kind of color can fit any design of the door, whether it is modern or classic. The design of the lock is also solid. It does not look like a flimsy lock, unlike others.
- Can fit various types of doors such as metal and wooden doors
- Screws included secured the lock perfectly; no adjustments needed
- Lock is durable and sturdy because it is constructed with stainless steel
- The chains keep the door partially open but prevent an intruder from entering
- Steel link-welded chain
- Comes in a silver color that is subtle yet elegant and has a solid design
- Release button needed lubrication after it was stuck
12. RZDEAL Anti-Theft Bolt Chain
The RZDEAL Anti-Theft Bolt Chain does not only add security to the house but also brings sophistication with its gold color. It gives life to our old white door. Good thing I threw my old ugly lock away and replaced it with this one.
In addition to that, the lock is durable since the screws and chains are brass-plated while the rest of the lock is made of brass. At first, I was unsure if it could stand a strong force, but after my child tried to break it by striking, the lock remained intact.
I also did not find it difficult to install since it worked both on metal and wooden doors. The compatibility of the lock to the door is one of the problems I usually encounter whenever I purchase a lock. The good news is, I didn’t experience that kind of problem with this lock.
Lastly, the lock is very affordable. Since it was heavy-duty, I thought that it would cost me a lot but I only spent a few dollars. With its quality and good design, the lock gave good value.
- Gold color of the lock brings sophistication to the door
- Screws and chains are brass-plated while the rest of the lock is made of brass
- Withstands strong forces
- Works both on metal and wooden doors
- Lock is very affordable
- Door chain lock no screws
What to Look for When Buying Door Chain Locks
There are some features that you must take into consideration so you can easily choose the kind of chain lock that will fit your needs and style. Rushing to acquire a lock without carefully evaluating the lock may only end in frustration. To avoid this, here are the features that you must look for in a lock:
Sturdiness of the Lock. You should not compromise your safety by choosing a flimsy lock. It will only break easily after someone tries to enter forcibly. To ensure that the lock is sturdy enough, check what kind of material it is made of. Tougher materials are harder to budge.
Durability of the Lock. To prevent wasting your resources, choose a lock that would last a long time. There are locks that are rust-proof, corrosion-proof, and scratch-proof. These kinds of locks don’t wear and tear easily even after frequent use. Learn more of our security locks here.
Security of the lock. As much as possible, look for a lock that has an added security feature like a spring anti-theft press. Also, the chain of the lock must be thick so it won’t break in case someone wants to forcefully enter your house. Longer mounting screws also ensure that the lock remains intact despite the strong force.
Convenience of the Lock. It would be better if the things you need during the installation are already in the package. Otherwise, you would need to look for these items in a store such as Screwfix and b&q. A door security chain alternative for temporary use is also available if you can’t find the items needed.
Design of the Lock. The color and the design of the lock must suit your door or else it will be a distraction inside of the house. Choose a color that is unobtrusive yet brings sophistication and elegance. If your door has a modern design, the lock must also have a modernized color.
Price of the Lock. If you can find a less costly lock, then it would be better. However, don’t compromise on the price of the lock and the security of your family. Your main concern is to keep your family safe. However, there are affordable locks in the market that have the same quality as those that are more costly.
Usage of the Lock. Is it for childproofing or is it for the security of the whole house? If your purpose is to childproof the house, you can settle for a lightweight lock, but ensure first that it is out of reach. However, if it is for keeping your house safe, look for a heavy duty door chain lock with key.
Compatibility of the Lock. Some of the chain locks work for metal doors and some do not, and vice versa. You must first check if the lock is compatible with the kind of door you have. If it is not, you won’t be able to install it and it would be useless to you. You can also use a door chain restrictor for upvc door.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are chain door locks effective?
Chain door locks are effective as additional security for an apartment or a house. They help in preventing an intruder from forcibly entering if the door is partially opened. However, they cannot be an alternative for stronger locks such as deadbolt locks. There are also door chain lock alternative that you can use.
How do you lock a door chain?
The lock must be properly secured in the door frame and it must be installed near the edge of the door. It typically works by sliding the chain to the lock to keep the door closed.
Can I put a chain lock on my apartment door?
Of course, you can. It would keep you secured while you are inside your apartment. It will also help you check who is on the other side of the door without opening the door widely. If you don’t have one, you can use any door chain alternative temporarily.
Can you put a chain lock on a metal door?
There are chain locks that can be installed on metal doors. Usually, the screws are longer and you will need a drill to mount the lock properly on the surface. Always look at the description of the lock to see if it is a chain lock for metal door.
It is easy to have the best door chain lock if you know the features that you need to look for. You don’t need to rush in choosing a lock and waste your resources and effort. A high-quality lock will surely meet your needs, and at the same time keep your family secure.
I am the last member to join Revolar and might be just the luckiest to work with dedicated people like Teddy and John. Our team has established a process where my only job is writing the best content to deliver incredible ideas and guides.