Brinks has been in the security business for a long time, making it one of the most trusted brands in the United States – and the world, for that matter. Brink’s company focuses on private security and protection, while its sister brand, Brink’s Home Security, specializes in home security systems.
Though a global brand, most consumers are familiar with Brinks because of its ever-reliable combination locks. If you own one, you must know how to reset a Brinks 4-dial combination lock so you can continually use the unit.
Table of Contents
Ways to Reset a Brinks 4-dial Combination Lock
It will take a lifetime to crack a code of a Brinks 4 digit combination lock if you do it by trial and error. Luckily, there are easy ways to reset the lock of its 7551, 165-50054, and 175-50054 units.
Reset a 7551 Brinks 4 dial resettable lock
The Brinks 50mm solid brass 4 dial resettable padlock and the 7551 models are probably Brinks’ most recognizable locks though the company has already stopped producing units with a four-digit model.
No tool is needed to reset a Brinks lock 7551 model simply follow these steps:
- Unlock the unit using your current combination. To do so, you must align the code with the line on the front of the lock.
- Once unlocked, pull the shank or shackle, swing it 180 degrees, and press it down.
- Reset the code by aligning it with the line on the front of the lock’s body.
- Release the shackle and turn it back to its original position.
- Press the shackle and scramble the dials to lock it. Afterward, test if the old combination is not working and if the new one unlocks the unit.
Reset a 165-50054 or 175-50054 Brinks 4 number combination lock
As with a 7551 model, it’s easy to do a Brinks padlocks reset with the brand’s newer locks even as they look modern. The 165-50054 and 175-50054 units, for instance, have switches at the bottom specifically used for resetting the code.
No tool is needed to change the code for these locks and simply follow these steps:
- Unlock the unit using your current combination. The shackle must be free from the padlock body.
- Push the switch to the left.
- Reset the code by dialing in the new four-number combination.
- Return the switch to its original position by turning it to the right.
- Rotate the dials to lock it. Test if the old combination is not working and if the new one unlocks the unit.
Unlike the 7551, there’s no need to turn the newer models’ shackles to 180 degrees to have a successful Brinks 4 dial combination lock reset.
Also, turning the switch left does not automatically mean anyone can just reset the lock as they please because they first need to dial in the current combination before they can change it. As such, only share the code with people you trust, say members of the household.
Brinks Lock Combination Reset Using Tools
Say you forgot combination of your locked 175-50054 unit, you can defeat its dial system using a specialized tool called a notched decoder or a hammer.
For the former, you just need to insert the tool into one of the dial’s numbers until you feel the groove of the locking lug. Afterward, pull it using the notch at the tool’s tip, easily unlocking the unit.
Alternatively, you can lightly hit the lock’s body with a urethane hammer or other similar tool to rattle the locking lug. If successful, the shackle will be undone, effectively unlocking the unit.
Once unlocked, follow the previously mentioned Brinks resettable lock instructions to change the code. Consider using a lock with key as your main security device when the dial lock can easily be defeated.
What to do if I forgot the combination to my Brinks lock?
You can defeat a lock, especially the modern ones, using the previously mentioned notched decoder or tapping the lock’s body with a urethane hammer.
If you don’t have the said tools but have a bobby pin, you can pick a 7551 model that won’t won’t open by following these steps:
- Insert the bobby pin in the hole beside the shackle.
- Starting from the top, rotate the dials until you hit the right number, with the pin sliding down each time. Once the pin reached the bottom, you just successfully unlocked the 7551.
- Reset the code by following the previously mentioned instructions.
How to reset a Brinks 3-dial combination lock?
If you’re working with a 3-dial Brinks resettable combination lock, you can easily change its code by following the previously mentioned steps. After all, the digits are the only difference between it and the other discussed locks.
Also read: Resetting a combination lock 3 digits in a minute here!
When you don’t know how to reset a Brinks 4-dial combination lock, you’ll either ditch the lock or spend a lifetime decoding it. Luckily, it’s easy to change its code, especially if you still know the current combination.
Otherwise, you can pick it up using a specialized tool, hammer, or bobby pin. If you are not patient with DIYs, there’s always a locksmith to help you with your dilemma – you just need to shell out a couple of bucks.
So if you want to save money and gain a new skill, you might as well learn how to reset a dial lock.
I am the last member to join Revolar and might be just the luckiest to work with dedicated people like Teddy and John. Our team has established a process where my only job is writing the best content to deliver incredible ideas and guides.