Moving large things such as furniture, goods, and heavy equipment requires trucks, where things can be loaded and shipped to other places. That is why some people rent U-Haul trucks to transport their things conveniently and safely.
However, moving valuables is an easy target for thieves and robbers. Fortunately for you, there are things you can do to avoid having your precious goods stolen.
In this article, I will show you how to prevent U Haul theft with these simple and easy steps.
Table of Contents
Ways to Prevent U-Haul Theft
There are plenty of ways to prevent moving truck theft, and you can choose any of the options below depending on your preference and tools available to you.
To keep your truck from getting stolen, try these options:
Method 1. Install a lock
Locks for moving trucks are conveniently the safest and easiest way of preventing U-Haul theft.
According to many Reddit users, the best lock for U-Haul truck is a disc lock. This is because disc locks’ shackles are difficult to access and cut by bolt cutters, which is the usual way for thieves to open locks.
Here are some spots on which you should always put your disc lock or padlock for UHaul:
- Front wheel. Use a boot lock on the front tire so that even if the thief has access to your steering wheel, he will have a hard time moving the vehicle.
- To protect your valuables, make sure to put a tubular lock or a combination lock on their containers or drawers.
- Truck doors. Use the built-in lock to prevent other people from getting inside the truck. My Penske truck lock or padlock often does the job.
- Steering wheel. If, in case, the thief has gotten inside the truck, having a steering wheel lock for U-Haul will prevent him from driving the vehicle.
Method 2. Install a car alarm for U-Haul truck.
A car alarm will notify you if someone breaks into your car or is moving it. To install a portable car alarm for moving truck, you can follow these steps:
- Connect the speaker to the car battery.
- Place the batteries inside your remote to use it.
- Place the sensor inside your cabin. This will monitor any movements that will happen to your car.
- Lock your car.
- Press the lock button on your alarm remote, and you are good to go.
Method 3. Park your car to your advantage.
Put it in a well-lit space and near other trucks so that your vehicle cannot be easily accessed. Pick a lot with security guards and cameras if possible.
Method 4. Get insured.
Although the insurance fine print of U-Haul does not cover stolen goods, the UHaul Safe Move insurance will reduce your financial loss if the truck does not work perfectly or get damaged in the moving process.
Method 5. Hire professional help.
If you do not have a driver’s license or you are not confident about moving the truck, you can always hire professional help from driving services.
These drivers are already well-trained to drive trucks, and the company they work for should have conducted employee background checks already to ensure you’re not risking your safety during the trip.
How Often Are U-Hauls Stolen?
There is no public number of annual Uhaul thefts. However, in a news report, there were 38 police reports of U-Haul trucks either being stolen or recovered. These reports came from the Georgia Police Department.
Thieves target U-Haul trucks that are parked and unmanned. They drive the truck far from the place of origin and leave the truck deserted after stealing the valuables inside.
Do U-Hauls come with locks?
No, a U-Haul truck does not come with a moving truck lock. You can either use your own security device if you have one or buy a lock for Ubox from hardware stores.
U-Haul’s shop also offers different budget truck lock types and lock size, such as disc locks, padlocks, and storage locks.
Where can I park my U-Haul overnight?
Driving a moving truck during the night might not be the best idea, especially when you are already sleepy and cannot clearly see the road. The best course of action you can take is to place your truck somewhere and get some sleep.
Here are locations where you can secure a U-Haul trailer overnight:
- Hotels. These are ideal if you want a good night’s rest.
- Rest stops. Due to the minimal foot traffic at rest stops, you can be sure that you and your truck will be safe for the night.
- Grocery stores. Choose a grocery store whose parking lot is big and the management doesn’t mind having your truck parked.
- Gas stations. The thing about gas stations is that they often have big parking lots and 24/7 service, making them an ideal place to park overnight.
- Parking lots. Always choose a parking lot that is well-lit and stay somewhere close to it, so you can see if someone’s approaching your truck.
- Restaurants. Some 24/7 restaurants offer big parking spaces where you can stay the whole night. Just make sure you order some food though.
- Shopping malls. Shopping malls have guards and cameras, even in their parking lots, giving you an extra bump on the security of your truck.
- Casinos. More often than not, casinos are open 24/7, and they can also offer valet service if you are going to play inside.
You can never be too careful when having your goods and valuables moved from one place to another. Take all possible security measures you can take, even at the cost of money.
Now that you know how to prevent U Haul theft, you will never have to worry about getting your goods stolen. Share these tips with your friends or family to give them a heads-up if they are going to move in the future.
I run a door lock business that provides the best products for people who seek safe gear. I know the long process of selecting the proper protection tools for your houses and the hardship of installation some pieces might bring. Hence, my team and I hope to lessen the difficulty and shorten the choice period for you.