Wonder how to pick a car lock with a bobby pin? This method can actually pull you out of troublesome situations where you lose the car keys. But, it only works with traditional car door locks. Just focus on creating a tension lever and a pick tool using bobby pins when doing so.
This tutorial will help you on how to unlock a car door with a bobby pin.
Table of Contents
- What You Need
- What to Do
- Frequently Asked Questions
What You Need
To successfully open a car door with a bobby pin, you need to have the right tools. These items are easy to find, so you won’t have to waste much time looking for them. You can check the nearest hardware store in the area or bring them along just in case.
- Bobby pins – You will need to use two bobby pins to create picking tools. They must be made of metal so that they would not break while you are picking the lock. You must also remove the rubber tip using a pair of pliers or your bare hands to prevent them from getting stuck inside the lock.
If you don’t have bobby pins, you can use metal paper clips. They must also be sturdy enough and don’t easily break. In terms of size, you must choose large paper clips to successfully open the car door.
- Pliers – Using a pair of pliers will make it easier for you to bend the bobby pins. The best kind of pliers that you can use for this tutorial is a pair of needle-nose pliers. It is typically used for making jewelry and creating handicrafts because of its ability to bend thin metals.
Since you won’t be working in tight spaces, you can use straight-head needle-nose pliers. The ideal cutters are 6 inches long. If you don’t have any available needle-nose pliers, you can also use your bare hands to bend the bobby pins. Just be careful so that you won’t injure your hands.
What to Do
Step 1: Create a tension lever and a pick tool using bobby pins
To create a tension lever:
- Get one bobby pin and bend ⅓ of its top so that it may look like a hook.
- Bend both sides of the bobby pin in the same direction.
- For the pick, bend one of the bobby pins apart until it looks like an “L”.
- Stick one centimeter of the tip of the bobby pin inside the keyhole and bend it.
After you are done making your picking tools:
- Insert the tension lever at the bottom of the keyhole.
- Turn it clockwise.
- Exert the right amount of pressure to the tension lever until the end of the tutorial. Make sure that the pressure is consistent throughout the procedure since exerting too much or little will prevent you from opening the car lock.
Step 3: Place the pick tool on the upper part of the keyhole
You can now insert the pick on the upper part of the keyhole. Move the pick upward and downward. It may take you some time before you can move the barrels and get the right combination. This can also be challenging if your car has a different locking mechanism. Keep doing this procedure until you have successfully opened the door of your car.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a bobby pin to open all kinds of car doors?
No. There are car doors that have more complicated locking mechanisms than ordinary ones. If your car has a traditional lock, you can follow this tutorial. However, if it has a more advanced lock, you should call a locksmith to help you out.
What are the other ways to open my car aside from using bobby pins?
Aside from using bobby pins, you can also use long strings, a coat hanger, a paper clip, slim jims, or a screwdriver to open the door of your car. You can check other tutorials to help you out on how you can open the car door using these items.
Will I damage my car door lock if I pick it with bobby pins?
No, you won’t damage your car door lock. It will still work the way it worked before. However, don’t exert too much force on the locking mechanism while picking the lock to prevent damaging it.
Can I rekey my car door lock after I lost my keys?
Yes, you can rekey your car door lock with the help of a professional locksmith. The internal components of the lock cylinder will be replaced so that you can use a new key to open it. It may cost you about $120.
Why does the car door lock malfunction?
If you are using a key fob, it may be because its battery is dead or already faulty. If only one car door malfunctions while the other works properly, check if the fuse blew or the solenoid needs replacement. Another reason for a malfunctioning door lock is a broken wire.
Did our tutorial on how to pick a car lock with a bobby pin help you out? By following the steps, you can pick a car door lock with a bobby pin. This method is useful if you lost your keys or left them inside your car.
If you find this article useful, we would be glad if you share it with your friends. Getting locked out of the car may cause panic, but not if you know what to do. We would also love to know your experiences while doing the tutorial. Just leave a comment below.
I am the last member to join Revolar and might be just the luckiest to work with dedicated people like Teddy and John. Our team has established a process where my only job is writing the best content to deliver incredible ideas and guides.